The immigration experience is never easy. After all, the system is purposely complicated to make it as difficult as possible. This process is not easy without the help of an attorney, so many people look for someone who can guide them through their applications and their case. Among the various processes that many people have to go through is the U visa process. If you need a U visa lawyer , it is good to know this before starting the process.
What is the U Visa?
The U visa is a type of non-immigration visa dedicated to victims of crimes who have been physically and mentally abused while in the United States and to their close relatives. There are a number of requirements and eligibility parameters to obtain the U visa and it is not enough to just have been a victim of a crime.
Requirements for Visa
The requirements to apply for a U visa are:
- The applicant must have been the victim of some criminal activity.
- The applicant must have suffered significant physical or mental abuse as a victim of this criminal activity.
- The applicant must have information regarding this criminal activity.
- The applicant must have assisted, be assisting, or intend to assist in the investigation or prosecution of the crime in question.
- The criminal activity must have occurred in the United States or violated US laws.
- The applicant can enter the United States under current immigration laws and parameters. Those who are not eligible under these parameters cannot apply for an exemption.
No todos los crímenes son inmediatamente elegibles para la visa U de la misma forma que no es suficiente con solo ser víctima. El crimen tiene que haber tenido serias repercusiones y cumplir con ciertas especificaciones. Hay una larga lista de crímenes para los cuales las víctimas son elegibles para la visa U. Entre estos crímenes se encuentran secuestros, abuso sexual, extorsión, mutilación genital femenina, violencia doméstica, detención ilegal, asalto criminal, fraude en contratación laboral extranjera, condición de rehén, servidumbre involuntaria, violación, trata de esclavos, prostitución, acecho, tortura, tráfico ilegal, manipulación de testigos, restricción criminal ilegal, y conspiración.
It is worth remembering that these are not the only crimes that qualify for a U visa and that, in the same way, not only because someone is a victim of one of these crimes is they immediately eligible to obtain the visa. The conditions to obtain it will depend on each specific case and require the attention of a lawyer familiar with immigration law.
A U Visa Lawyer Can Help You
Here at Paniotto Law, we are here to help you. Our Los Angeles immigration law firm understands how complicated the immigration situation is today. That's why we want to provide you with the right resources, like a U visa attorney. If you need help with an immigration case, give us a call at (213) 534-6622 and we'll be there.